Tax Preparation FAQ

1. Q: Will my deposit go towards my tax preparation fee?
A: Yes, your deposit will be deducted from your tax preparation fee.

2. Q: When will I get my refund?
A: Refunds typically take 21 business days.

3. Q: Can I come alone to my tax appointment or must I bring my spouse?
A: You can come alone, HOWEVER, it is usually easier to prepare an accurate tax return if both parties are present. Your spouse will have to sign the return, but you can always  take forms home for signature & return them, or we have e-signature options as well.

4. Q: How long will my tax appointment take?
A: Without a business or rental properties tax appointments typically take 45 minutes to an hour.

5. Q: How long do I have to cancel or reschedule my appointment to get my deposit back?
A: You need to cancel or reschedule your appointment at least 48 hours ahead of time to get your deposit back or transfer it to your new appointment.

6. Q: How much is the deposit?
A: $50 for regular appointments or $100 for appointments after 04/15.

7. Q: How do virtual appointments work?
A: You start by uploading or faxing all of your tax documents, and paying the fee of $175 to start work. Once your return is ready to start (typically 2-4 weeks after you have turned in ALL of your documents, we will set up a phone appointment to get all questions answered. When your tax return is done, we will arrange for you to sign and collect the balance of your tax preparation fee.  You will receive a 15% discount on your tax preparation fee IF your documents are organized and uploaded all at one time.

8. Q: How much will I have to pay to get an extra copy of my tax return?
A: The fee for a duplicate paper copy of your tax return is $25. We will upload a PDF copy to our secure portal for you for free.

9. Q: What documents do I need to bring for my children?
A: We need social security cards, birth certificates, proof of insurance, and some type of proof that the children lived with you for ALL NEW CLIENTS. If you are a returning client, we most likely already have the cards and birth certificate on file. Proof of insurance and proof that they lived with you is required every year. We also have a bunch of very intrusive questions we are required to ask, that you can fill out at home, or in our office. The due diligence paperwork we ask you to fill out is required by the IRS. When you fill it out, please just do the best that you can. We will go over it with you and make sure everything is completed correctly at your appointment.

10. Q: Can I scan and send my receipts?
A: We do not prepare taxes from your receipts. Preparing from your receipts is considered bookkeeping, and is subject to a higher hourly rate. If you want us to do your bookkeeping, we can do it, we just need more time before your appointment. If you would like to keep your tax preparation fee low, you will need to fill out one of the many worksheets that we will provide to you when you schedule your appointment.

11. Q: Can I write off the furniture/appliances/major purchases from 2019?
A: You can, with some exceptions, if its for business. Those purchases that are not business related are not deductible in most cases. However, you can write off the sales tax (if you itemize your deductions) and there are sometimes credits for certain things. Please ask and

12. Q: Does my child need to file a tax return?
A: They might need to file depending on income & withholding. Bring their W2’s to your appointment and I’ll take a look, OR they can upload or text them in prior. We like to do them because the kids often make a mistake that affects their parents’ returns. Tax preparation for dependents starts at $75 for 1W2 & go up from there.

13. Q: Do we need to show receipts for items we list on General Worksheet?
A: You do not need to prove your expenses to me, however, in the event of an audit, the IRS will require receipts or bank statements to substantiate expenses claimed on the return.

14. Q: How do I know if I will need to do Schedule A?
A: We won’t know until the return is prepared… Schedule A includes medical expenses, taxes paid, mortgage interest, charitable contributions, and work related expenses. A lot of people file standard for federal and long form (including schedule A) for CA.

15. Q: How do I pay my IRS balance due?
A: To pay using a credit/debit card go to > Payment category is “Form 1040 Current Tax Return 20XX” > Fill in payment information.

To pay using your bank account go to > Click make a payment > Select reason “Balance Due” > Apply payment to Income Tax Form 1040 > Select correct tax year > Use prior years information to verify identity > Fill in payment info